Book online 
book

Shortbreak Packages 
Gift Vouchers 

Our History

1919

Pastry chef Ernst Attmanspacher acquires the Café Köppel.

1920

Café Toppler-Diele opens with its own pastry bakery and dancing facilities.

1942

His son Ernst Attmannspacher and his wife Else take over the Café and extend it into a Restaurant.

1945

January-February
The Café-Restaurant and the kitchen are used as a Canteen for the nearby Military Hospital.


31. March
The Café-Restaurant is hit in an air raid by a bomb and destroyed by fire. Only the façades and the rear buildings remain. Else Attmanspacher and her daughter Emmi remove the debris together with the help of the Staff.

September
The Café Toppler-Diele reopens.

October
The Café-Restaurant is confiscated by the American Military Government and is turned into an Army Club for six weeks. 

November
The Café-Restaurant was reopened, however only the Ground Floor and First Floor were useable. In the following years the burnt-down house was rebuilt piece by piece.

1948

The Family Business is handed over to Emmi Kleinschroth and her husband Hermann. The Hotel is renamed as Reichs-Küchenmeister (Master Chefs of the Empire). Emmi and Hermann Kleinschroth remodel all Floors little by little to be used as Hotelrooms.

1955

An old Dwelling Farmhouse next to the historic Town Wall is bought to provide Parking and Garages for the Guests. In 1990 parts of it were turned into Holiday Apartments.

1961

Hermann Kleinschroth buys a plot of land 15 km north of Rothenburg, to build four ponds to raise the finest Carps for use in the Restaurant.

1981

Hermann Kleinschroth's daughter Barbara Niedner and her husband Wolfgang take over the Hotel. They continue to renovate the Building, the Restaurant and the Public Bathrooms. They also upgrade all Rooms with Bathrooms.

1986

Sauna, Jacuzzi and the Recreation Area are built.

1987

Opening of the Wine Tavern “Löchle”.

1990 – 1992

The former Viktoria-Cinema was purchased and remodelled into Guestrooms, Garages and Private Apartments.

1992

Continuous Renovation and Upgrading of Hotel Rooms and Restaurants.

1995

The „Kleines Löchle“ - St.-Michaels Cellar in the vaults of the St. Michaels Chapel are built.

2000

Corinna Rother, daughter of Mr Wolfgang and Barbara Niedner, joins the Family Business.

2006

Her husband, Christoph Rother, becomes Head Chef of the Kitchen.

December 2006

also marks the Beginning of a new Tradition. Our Christmas Garden opens for the First Time in December.

July 2012

† Senior Proprietor Mr. Hermann Kleinschroth passes away.

2012

Complete Renovation of the Hotel's Main Kitchen and upgrade with the most modern Technical Equipment.

2014

Renovation of further 10 Hotel Rooms, in-room air-conditioning is also installed in these Rooms.

2015

Beginning of Renovation Works in the Viktoria Guesthouse and upgrade of these Rooms to modern Country House Hotel Style.

2016

Renovation of the timbered facade in the Viktoria Guesthouse, Completion of Renovation Works in the Hotel Rooms in the Viktoria Guesthouse,
complete Renovation of the Main Restaurant and of the Korkenzieherstube (Corkscrew Parlour), Extension of the Breakfast Buffet and Bar Area.

We have set ourselves an Agenda 2020 with Objectives in order to further develop the Hotel and make it fit for the years ahead.

We are the Heart of Rothenburg.

 

And the next steps? What might the Future have on Offer? Here is our Promise:

We are obliged to Tradition. Our Tradition. We have been running this Family Business for 6 generations. Rest assured that we will continue to strive to provide excellent Service to you, our valued Guests, and that we will continue to constantly improve our Hotel and Services to make you not only feel welcome, but provide a true

Home away from Home.

Close Window